Magic Johnson is someone I've admired for a long time. First as one of the greatest basketball players of all time and now as one of the greatest business people of all times. I just listened to a short 3 minute clip of his interview on the Breakfast Club and I was blown away. I pulled out 10 things that I learned from that short clip then I went and found the full interview. I won't bore you with the extensive notes that I took when I watched the whole thing but I think you get the point.
If you want to be successful you have to study successful people. Magic Johnson is a great example. He took all of the character traits that made him such a fierce competitor on the basketball court and is now using them to compete in business. Here are the 10 things I learned from his interview on the Breakfast Club.
1. Don't be what others want you to be - He always saw himself as a business man in addition to being a ball player.
2. Forced Accountability - He made a promise to his parents to be financially savvy. This promised forced him to be accountable. Do you have an accountability partner?
3. Learn how to hustle early - Who knew Magic Johnson was a DJ in college? Before that he shoveled snow, had a paper route etc. Teach your kids how to hustle.
4. Pull the trigger when others won't - Magic asked teammates to invest but they weren't ready. He didn't let that stop him and he turned $1.5M investment to a $3M profit.
5. Realize what you have - Magic was able to sell the land that he acquired with his station to recoup his original invest so that when he sold the radio station the earnings were pure profit.
6. Be coachable -Even as a DJ in college Magic had a mentor that showed him the ropes of being a DJ.
7. Stay humble - Magic was respected as a basketball player but not quite as a business man so he stayed humble and submitted to those who knew more than him and learned as much as he could.
8. Build a track record of success - Johnson worked hard to earn his respect as a businessman the same way he had to earn his respect as a ball player.
9. Take care of your money - Magic made sure that his early salary in the NBA was used to make more money.
10. Become an example for others - What drives you to want to be success? Magic wanted to be an example for the black community to show that it can be done.
Below is my video commentary as well as the complete Breakfast Crew interview. Hope you enjoy, if so please leave a comment and share.
Magic Johnson Breakfast Club Interview
H Cortez aka Financial Health Mentor to the Working Class
Dave Ramsay Course